This traditional Irish Shepherd’s Pie is comforting, easy to prepare, and versatile. The combination of creamy mashed potatoes, ground beef, and veggies combine to create a delicious, hearty meal.
St. Patrick’s Day is almost here, which means Shepherd’s Pie is on the menu! This recipe is very easy to make and highly versatile so you can customize it to your family’s eating preference.
You can replace the red wine with chicken stock (not as flavorful, but it will work), double the onions or add corn and it will still taste great. That’s the beauty of this Shepherd’s pie recipe. Done in just 45 minutes, it’s a quick and easy meal that your family will love any time of the year, not just on St. Patrick’s Day!
- 3 Large Russet Potatoes or 5 Yukon Gold
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 4 tablespoon Butter
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Cooking Oil (Vegetable or Coconut)
- 1 Lb. Ground Beef, Turkey or Lamb
- 1 cup Onions (Diced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Red Wine
- 1 cup Peas/Carrots
- Salt (to taste)
- Fill a large stockpot with water and place on stove over high heat. While the water is heating up, wash and skin the potatoes and then cut into small cubes. Place potatoes in the stockpot while the water is still cool. As soon as the water starts boiling, set the timer for 17-18 minutes.
- Add oil to large, flat sauté pan and coat over medium heat. While the pan is heating up, dice the onion and mince the garlic. Then add the onions to the pan and brown for about 4-5 minutes. Once browned, add the garlic and keep stirring for about a minute so that it doesn’t burn.
- Turn the heat up to medium high. Add the ground beef/turkey/lamb to the pan and mix with the onions/garlic. Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the meat is browned.
- Pre-heat oven to 425. Add the Worcestershire sauce, pepper, garlic salt, thyme, and Italian seasoning to the meat and mix together. Once mixed, add the red wine to deglaze the pan. Let simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is fully reduced.
- Add the peas/carrots and fold into the meat filling and cook for 2 minutes. Add salt/pepper to your liking.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a square 8” x 8” pan, 9” round casserole pan or 3” ramekins.
- Drain the potatoes and add them back to the stockpot. Add the sour cream, milk and butter and mash until smooth. You can add extra salt or butter here (1 tablespoon at a time) if you prefer to load them up.
- Cover the meat mixture with the mashed potatoes and spread evenly.
- Place the pan or ramekins in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and let it cool for 5 minutes before you dish up. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 769 Total Fat: 41g Saturated Fat: 18g Trans Fat: 2g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 150mg Sodium: 705mg Carbohydrates: 58g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 7g Protein: 39g
What’s your favorite way to eat Shepherd’s Pie?
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.