Cold and flu season is coming to an end and I am happy to say that we have made it through with only minor colds. I would like to think that it is because I am super picky about my kids washing their hands, especially after visiting restaurants and other public places. I am also constantly cleaning and disinfecting my home to get rid of any germs or bacteria that might make us sick. I think that this has really helped us stay healthy.
I recently learned that my attempt to keep a healthy home is called Healthing — a new concept that LYSOL is introducing that is centered on keeping families as healthy as possible, by looking beyond just cleaning and ensuring that the proper steps are taken to stay well. Healthing is the extension of LYSOL and its Mission for Health, the motivation behind the creation of their products that are centered on killing 99.9 percent of germs and providing solutions for the home that help promote good hygiene and disinfection.
One important way to integrate Healthing into your home is to understand the difference between cleaning and disinfecting, as both are important components of the Healthing process. While cleaning and organizing is certainly important, killing germs on commonly touched surfaces can lower the risk of spreading bacteria and viruses between family members.
Now that it’s officially spring here in CO, I’ve gotten the urge to break out all of my LYSOL cleaning supplies (love the disinfecting wipes!) and clean every nook and cranny in my home. I am determined to keep us healthy!
LYSOL Healthing Tips
- Don’t let spring cleaning overwhelm you – take it one room at a time and stock up on products that will help you to get the job done effectively, including LYSOL® products, paper towels, sponges, and trash bags.
- Know the difference between cleaning and disinfecting! Both are important components of the Healthing process and LYSOL® has products that can help with all related tasks. While cleaning and organizing is certainly important, killing germs on commonly touched surfaces can lower the risk of spreading bacteria and viruses between members of the family.
- Start with the basics – wipe down easy to reach surfaces and then move onto the little nooks and crannies.
- Remember to dust around wall art, photographs and woodwork.
- Use a disinfectant product, like LYSOL® Disinfecting Wipes, to help ensure you’re killing germs as you clean, and think beyond the usual places. Be sure to clean even the smallest surfaces, such as light switches.
- Don’t forget to disinfect places that you don’t see or think about often, like the door knobs, cabinet handles or sink drains.
- Make it a family activity and tailor tasks to specific age groups. Give younger children simpler, one-step tasks like dusting or picking toys up off the floor, and save the more complex jobs, such as vacuuming, scrubbing, and disinfecting for older members of the family.
To help spread the word about Healthing, LYSOL and television personality Giuliana Rancic have partnered together to visit YMCAs in select markets across the country to demonstrate Healthing in action. At each YMCA location, LYSOL will provide attendees with hands-on education about the products and steps required to practice improved hygiene habits in their own home, while making the idea fun and relatable to kids. LYSOL will also provide educational information and disinfecting products to the local YMCAs, along with the donation of a one-year membership to a deserving family.
Take Part in LYSOL’s Healthing Initiative:
- Website: http://www.lysol.com/healthing
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Lysol
- Guidebook: http://www.lysol.com/healthing/what-is-healthing
What are your tips to keeping a healthy home?
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for LYSOL. I received a promotional item to thank me for participating.