I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Seventh Generation. I received a promotional item and product samples as a thank you for participating.
It’s no secret around here that I am passionate about going “green.” I do my best to make sure that my family only uses eco-friendly products that are free from toxic chemicals. It’s important to me that we protect our health and environment from the harmful and potentially long-term effects of chemicals. They aren’t good for us, yet they are in so many products we use every day. It’s time for a change and that’s why I am excited to announce that I have teamed up with my favorite household cleaning brand, Seventh Generation, to help spread awareness about the importance of chemical reform and the use of safer chemicals in the United States.
Why is Chemical Reform Necessary?
- More than 80,000 chemicals available in the United States have never been fully tested for their toxic effects on our health and environment.
- Scientists have linked exposure to toxic chemicals to many health risks, such as Cancer, Alzheimer’s, learning disabilities, asthma, birth defects, and various reproductive problems.
- The Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) was passed in 1976, and unlike other major environmental laws, has never been updated. As it currently stands, tens of thousands of potentially harmful chemicals continue to be used in the marketplace since the 1970’s without proper testing and without disclosure by the companies that produce them.
- For additional information to learn more visit theNatural Resources Defense Council website.
The majority of products we find on store shelves are filled with chemicals. It’s pretty scary to think that we continue to use them without fully knowing what effect they have on our bodies. All I know is that cancer and other health risks are on the rise, so there has to be some correlation. It’s time for the TSCA to be updated and for companies to test the chemicals that they are using in their products. Until then, my family will only be using products that have been tested and shown to be free from harmful chemicals!
What Can You Do You To Spread Awareness And Get Involved?
- You can become a Toxin Freedom Fighter by signing Seventh Generation’s petition to urge Congress to reevaluate the Toxic Substances Control Act for the first time since 1976.
- Make sure that parents and the general public are aware that of the 80,000 synthetic chemicals introduced into the market since the Toxic Substances Control Act was passed in 1976, the EPA has required testing on less than 10%.
- Help Seventh Generation reach its goal of collecting 100,000 Signatures by April 24th by signing the petition for chemical reform and urging your friends and family to do the same!
I signed the petition — will you? Click on the badge above to sign the petition and stand up for safer chemicals!
Seventh Generation Twitter Party
Join the Seventh Generation #FightToxins Twitter Party on Thursday, April 10th from 1:00-2:00 PM ET to chat about tips and tricks for living a healthy, green lifestyle as well as the importance of using products with as few chemicals as possible.
Are you worried about the harmful chemicals found in everyday products? What steps do you take to avoid them?